Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Week 17 in Russia: Trailblazing Across Siberia

And now for weekly update with Elizabeth Trammell and...Elizabeth Trammell.
It seems like everyone else has fallen off the face of this blog, but I will continue keep you entertained with two more weekly updates. :)

Last week (actually two weekends ago, but I count Sunday as the start of a new week), Great Baikal Trail held its yearly seminar at the Botanical Garden. This seminar is a "mini project" as final preparation for the summer. I have spent this semester preparing and training as if I were going on a summer project as a translator, group leader, or a helper of a group leader. This seminar was my chance to feel as if I went on a summer project. :)


Great Baikal Trail's Banner


My group's work on Saturday


My Table at Dinner on Saturday

We started early Saturday morning at 9am. It was drizzly and cold, but we happily continued with our icebreakers and getting to know each other. After working in groups for a little while, we decided the weather was nice enough to begin work. At first, I was working as a volunteer on the trail, under the direction of a 'brigadier' (or group leader). We took a break for lunch and I acted in a skit with the other people who were trained as translators. (Translators not only translate for foreigners on the project--they also provide entertainment and make sure that everyone has a good time). After our lunch break, however, our volunteer coordinator decided to try an experiment and switched me in to be the group leader. I didn't really know what I was doing, but it was an honor for me to feel as if I were a brigadier on a project, even for half a day. I feel like I learned more by trying to be a group leader, and I'm very grateful for the experience. We all worked together, and as group leader I called out our five minute breaks, checked the evenness of the trail, and made sure everyone stuck to our safety rules. I ended up leaving after dinner, even though some people stayed the night at the Botanical Garden. I was dead tired, came home, took a bath, and slept like a baby.


Some early Sunday morning entertainment from one of our translators


The part of the trail we finished on Sunday

Olga, my group leader, putting down gravel

"..I've been working on the trail, all the live long day."

The next morning, I returned for half a day's work back on the trail. This time, I switched groups to fill in as a helper of a group leader ('brigadier helper' when literally translated from Russian). I also got to explain to a group of new adult volunteers how to work on the trail. We finished our section and started putting gravel down before lunch. After lunch, I had to go, but I felt satisfied knowing that I helped build 150 meters of trail in the Botanical Garden as a translator, group leader, and helper. Even though I am sad about not being able to go on a summer project, the seminar made me feel as though I was able to participate. Next summer, I want more than anything to come back in some capacity for a summer project. Now that I know the ropes and have had all the intensive training--how could I not?


I must also note that last week my roommate went back to America. Before her departure, we created a photo session around town. Technically, this picture goes with Week 16, but in honor of her departure during Week 17, I have included it. I can't believe I've been without her for almost a whole week already. My room is quiet and empty without you--I miss you, Hannah!

Next time: The last big trip - Camping on Olkhon Island


0 comments:

Visits

About Our Blog

Lindsay, Chiara, D'or, Jesse, and Elizabeth are students at Wesleyan University in Middletown, Connecticut, studying abroad for the Spring 2009 semester.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP